Did you know that two billion pounds of pumpkin ends up in landfills worldwide each year? Are you looking to dispose of your pumpkin differently so it does not land in the landfill this year?
Here are a few ways you can dispose of your pumpkin:
- If you pumpkin is bare with no candle residue, paint, marker etc pumpkins are a great snack for wildlife to enjoy. On your next hike bring your pumpkin cut into pieces and dispose it into the bush off the path and out of the way of other hikers. If animals decide to pass on enjoying this snack not to worry pumpkins are 90% water so they will decompose into the earth.
- Compost your pumpkin and reuse the dirt for your garden in the upcoming years!
- Create a “snack-o-lantern” for the birds around your neighbourhood follow this craft here
- Plant the pumpkin seeds to see if you are able to grow your own pumpkins next year!
- If your pumpkin was freshly carved and no mould or decomposing has taken place you are able to make a long list of recipes from the pumpkins “meat” aka the inside of the pumpkin!
- Reach out to local farmers and see if their pigs, chickens or goats would enjoy your pumpkin as an afternoon snack!
A few recipes you can try are: